Sunday, September 4, 2011

Sunday Night Tradition

Back before we had kiddo, Mike and I used to have a Sunday night tradition. He would make homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch (which took several hours), and then we would play Uno (or some other game) while we ate the rolls. It was an AWESOME tradition... although quite fattening. So when I started Weight Watchers, that tradition went out the window.

Well, we might have discovered a (slightly) less fattening (and MUCH less time-consuming!) tradition: Banana Crunch Muffins.


Oh, these things are heaven! I've already shared the recipe with my family, but for any friends who may be interested:

Heat oven to 375. Lightly grease muffin tins - I have found that about 16 holes is the perfect amount so they don't overflow.

In a large bowl, mix together:
1 1/2 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder

In another bowl, mash 2 bananas. Then add:
4 T applesauce (or mash in a third banana)
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c melted butter (or 1/3 c oil - easier, but more fattening)
1 egg, slightly beaten

Mix the banana mixture, then add to the flour mixture just until combined. (You can also add chopped walnuts here, which is DELICIOUS. You know, if you're into nuts, like I am!) Put about 1/4 cup of this mixture into each of the 16 muffin tins.

In a small bowl, mix together:
1/3 c packed brown sugar
2 T flour
1/8 t cinnamon

Cut in 1 T butter until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, then sprinkle some of the topping over each muffin.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

I hope you all enjoy the recipe. Who knows - maybe it will become YOUR Sunday tradition, too?!

2 comments:

Crazy Blessed said...

I'm trying your muffins tonight!

Ann Michelle said...

Emily brought some of your muffins to our get together the other day!!Way yummy!!!!;)