Sunday, August 29, 2010

Panic Attack

I had a very scary mothering experience the other day!

We went out to the car to go home from the gym, and Aidan grabbed my keyring. I let him hold my keys while I strapped him in his chair, then I tossed the keys on my seat and went to grab something out of the trunk. Unbeknownst to me, Aidan had pressed the lock button. I shut the door without thinking, and suddenly, I was standing outside of my locked car with no way to get in. My husband was in Minnesota with the spare house key (the spare car key was in the house), and the engine was off, so I knew the car would be heating up soon. Talk about not a good situation!

Luckily, a friend let me use her cell phone to call the cops. Unfortunately, they don't unlock doors any longer since most newer cars have measures to prevent you from picking their locks. They came over to try anyway. At first, Aidan was fine. He waved at me through the window and everything.

But after about 15 minutes, he started to get hot. And he started bawling.

Can I just tell you how much that broke my heart? Hearing your child cry and knowing that you can't do anything about it is the worst feeling in the whole world.

The cop offered to break my window, but the locksmith was already on his way, so I waited it out. Luckily, the locksmith got it open in about 30 seconds. And he wouldn't even let me pay him for it! And thank goodness, Aidan was fine. Very sweaty, but as soon as I picked him up he was happy as a clam again.

Those kind of experiences remind you about what's really important in this world. You can get all stressed about moving, you can get yourself all worked up about money or housekeeping or working out, you can spend time entertaining yourself, but it in the end, your family is the most important thing you've got.

And you better believe I'm more careful about checking the locks now!

2 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

I've never locked a kid in the car, but I've heard enough stories about it that I like to think I'm super careful about having my keys on me and checking locks.

Now watch me eat my words.

And if it counts, I have locked me and the kids outside of the house before. :)

jessica said...

UGH! I know how that feels. That happened with Hudson at Macey's when he was a couple of months old. I was hysterical so someone else had to call the cops. 5 cop cars later they had it unlocked. At first they thought I had locked him in there while I shopped. That did NOT help my mental state.
I'm so glad everything worked out for you and he was okay!