Saturday, January 8, 2011

Cross Country Skiing

No, this isn't us. But that's only because I forgot my camera! We met up with some of Mike's co-workers today and made 2 awesome discoveries.

First, the Quarry Hill Nature Center in Rochester is amazing! It's FULL of all sorts of hands-on displays: bones, shells, furs, turtles, books, etc. Plus, it has tons of tanks with fish, turtles, bees, snakes, etc. with steps for little people to climb on so they can look right at the animals. And best of all, not only is it open all year round, but it's FREE! Aidan had a blast playing in the displays all morning while Mike and I took turns making the second discovery, which is:

Cross country skiing is fun! It sure challenges your balance, but it is so fun to feel like you're floating! We got quite a workout, and we each fell (Mike once, me twice). I didn't realize that it's different from regular skiing because you stay in pre-cut grooves. (Look closely at the picture above if you don't know what I'm talking about.) But we really enjoyed it! We didn't even wear our coats, just a few layers of clothing, and even though it was 4 degrees outside, we were just the right temperature. I'm pretty sure we will be going back there again!

No comments: