Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Parents

Today is February 7th, my parents' anniversary. Unfortunately, my father died of cancer just over three years ago on Feb. 2, 2006. They were 5 days shy of their 30th wedding anniversary. I know that this week is a hard one for my mom, so I wanted to take just a little time to commemorate my dad's life and the wonderful example that my parents have been for me.

Some of the lessons I have learned from my parents:
  • present a united front to the kids, then work out disagreements on your own
  • find your common ground and work together to establish priorities (in my home growing up, they were the gospel, music, and family vacations)
  • spending time with your kids and being there for them is better than spending a ton of money on them
  • be honest in everything you do, big or small
  • do nice things for each other (my mom would rub my dad's feet just to be nice)
  • make family prayer, scripture study, and Family Home Evening a priority
  • a parent's attitude is the barometer for the entire home
  • be willing to serve in church callings

I was so blessed to grow up in such a wonderful home. Mom, I'm thinking of you this week and am so glad to still have your friendship, wisdom, and example to guide me. Dad, I'm so glad you and Mom were married in the temple so I know that we will be together again someday. Both of you, thanks for all you did for me. I hope that Mike and I can be the kind of parents to our little boy that you were to me!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks Michelle. You mangaged to tear me up.

LaRae said...

Michelle, thanks for the nice tribute. It was a hard week for me, but other loved ones made it easier. I love my family and my friends.

Just to break up the seriousness of it all, remember the one time at Hellgate Condominium that I sort of broke that "united front" and talked to Dad about how he treated you worse than the others?! Did it make any difference in your life after that?

Rebecca said...

Agreed on all accounts. I love Dad. And Mom. (Sorry I didn't call on your anniversary . . .)