Sunday, April 19, 2009

Baby Class

Mike and I went to the baby class yesterday. We could either do it every Wednesday night for 6 weeks or in one big shot on a Saturday. Since I have to go to mutual every Wednesday, we went for the big class. Our friends told us to get there early because they give out free stuff (bottles, etc.). So, we got ourselves out of bed and over to the hospital by 8:45am on a Saturday morning. (Those of you who know Mike know what a huge deal this was - he LOVES to sleep in on Saturdays!)

Lo and behold, we were the only people there. And I mean anywhere. The letter told us we were in meeting room 2, but instead of giving directions to that, it just said to ask the receptionist how to get there. Except that there was no receptionist. And there were no staff anywhere. (This was the main entrance, not the ER. I'm sure they had staff over there, but it was on the complete opposite side of the hospital.) We wandered around for a while trying to find it, but no such luck. Some other couples arrived, (we knew they were with us because pregnant ladies with a pillow and blanket? Dead giveaway.) but they didn't know where to go either. We finally saw a nurse leaving her shift, and she showed us where to go. So we get up to the room, and the door is locked. No teacher in sight!

We all stand there waiting, and finally the nurse who was teaching the class comes right at 9:00. Her kid had been up sick all night, so she was running behind. I completely understand, but we were sad that not only was there no giveaway, but there was no reason at all to get there so early! Oh, well.

Most of the class was really good. I liked hearing about all the different stages of labor (no, not that they sound fun, but at least it was good information), and she told us some good stuff about car seats and nursing, plus we got to tour the maternity wing. But I'm pretty sure I must be Eric's sister, because I was SOOOOOOOO close to passing out during the presentation about epidurals! I'm not sure if it was the way the anesthesiologist presented it, the slide he was using, or the subject matter in general, but I was almost out. We're talking white as a sheet, sweating bullets, hearing through a long tunnel, etc. Mike was kind of laughing at me. Sigh. What did I get myself into?!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Well, Shells... it's too late to back out now! Sounds very informative - and exciting - it's so close!

Lisa Merkley said...

so, um, now that you've seen the presentation on the epidurals, are you going to have one or go natural?!

jessica said...

The movies and pictures come a tad late. There is no turning back at this point, right ;)I remember feeling like I was going to lose breakfast when I was watching the forceps delivery.

Tanya said...

At least you don't see the needle that they use, as it'll be in your back. It doesn't even really hurt that much, but it is less painful than natural

Eric said...

seeing a presentation about someone else in labor (including the epidural) and doing it yourself are two totally different things. You'll be surprised at what you make it through for the actual delivery.

LaRae said...

Well, I went natural -- don't know if I specifically made that decision ahead of time, or just had a high enough pain threshold that I never asked for the epidural on any of the births.

Emily said...

Mom... honestly - were epidurals even INVENTED when you had us? Tee hee... :)