Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Birth Story (Playing Catch-Up)

Sorry that this took me SO long to publish, and most of my readers have already heard this. But I have a few friends in Utah that I haven't talked to in person, and this is my main way of keeping in touch with them, so bear with me if I'm repeating myself. This is the story of how Aidan was born.

On Friday May 29, I taught my last day of school for the foreseeable future. I have sure enjoyed being with my 3rd graders over the last 7 years! The kids left at noon that day, and I spent the rest of the afternoon (with some helpers – not such a good idea for a 9-month pregnant lady to be running and climbing everywhere!) taking my classroom apart. I had to sort stuff into 3 piles – keep, leave for the new teacher replacing me, and try to get rid of in my garage sale. Here's some pictures of all the stuff I had to get rid of! Plus, I had an entire bookshelf full of books that I couldn't keep...





Monday June 1st was my last contract day of work. They paid us for one last day to come in and clean everything up. That morning, I had a teacher garage sale. I invited everyone to come see what I had that they might want and just pay what they thought would be a fair price. I made $150 but didn’t get rid of nearly everything, so I started giving it away for free! People were wandering in and out the whole day while I cleaned out my files. Here's what the classroom looked like by the end of the day:




I stayed until about 6:00 that evening and had almost everything done and cleaned up. However, I had already made 4 trips out to my car, and I didn’t want to stay later than that. I decided to just come back the next day for another hour or so and then be completely done with my classroom. I thought it worked out perfectly and that I would then have 2 weeks or so to get everything organized and ready for the baby! What I didn't know was that this candid shot with a fellow teacher would be my last pregnant picture (at least with Aidan)!



I drove home and walked in around 6:30. I came and sat on the couch by Mike. We talked for about 10 minutes, and all of the sudden I felt some wet stuff that I didn't expect! I looked at Mike with huge eyes and told him that I thought my water broke! He didn't believe me at first, but after a minute or two was convinced. I was of course a little panicked – I wasn’t due for 2 ½ weeks! We went to the hospital so they could check everything out. The doctor seemed a little skeptical at first - he said it's very uncommon for first time mothers to have their water break so early with no contractions. However, when he checked, he told me that I needed to stay in the hospital until our little one arrived!
I hadn't even packed my hospital bag yet, so poor Mike had to run home and try to get everything for me. He came back around 11:00. The doctor told me to get as much sleep as I could, so I slept fitfully through the night. The monitor said I was having contractions, but I didn't feel any still. They never became consistent, so at 6 the next morning they started me on pitocin.
Labor isn't fun.
Beforehand, I wasn't sure if I would get an epidural. I figured yes, but have had some experiences with -caine drugs that didn't work well, so I was worried that an epidural wouldn't even be effective. Yeah, by 11:00 in the morning I was only at a 3 and was in a LOT of pain. I asked for the epidural! It did take the anesthesiologist 3 tries to find a level in my spine that would work. As a result, I had a huge bruise on my back that didn't go away for about a week. But thankfully, the epidural worked wonders! As soon as it was done, I slept for 2 hours! I didn't feel a thing! When I woke up, Mike was like, "That's a really big contraction!" And I was like, "Oh, I'm having one? I didn't know that!" It was also wonderful to wake up and be fully dilated! MUCH better than being awake and feeling the labor! :)
The doctor had hoped that I would have Aidan after 5:00 so they wouldn't have to cancel a bunch of regular office visits, but at 1:45 or so I told the nurse that she needed to call the doctor. He walked in, took one look, and got his gown on. Sure enough, at 2:17, Aidan Blake Steele was born!

Again, sorry if it's a repeat, and sorry it's such old news, but now you know how our kiddo got here!

No comments: