Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Laundry


Do you ever have those days where just doing the laundry is a major accomplishment? No, that is not a picture of MY laundry (I just got it on the Internet), but sometimes I feel like I have a pile that big. This is especially compounded by the problem with our washer. It drains twice during each wash cycle, but if we aren't standing right there to repeatedly stop and start the washer, the water overflows and goes all over the laundry room floor. This means that we can't ever start the washer and forget about it. Instead, we have to make sure we are within earshot the entire cycle, then listen anxiously for the 2 long pauses that tell us to get up and RUN to the laundry room! Our dryer also takes at least an hour for one cycle, so doing 4 loads of laundry is an all day thing. You can't leave the house, and you can't do anything too involved or far away from the laundry room. And once your clothes are finally clean and dry, you still have to fold them and put them away! (Confession: that last one is the hardest for me! I have been known to do all the laundry and even have it folded, but then to have it sit in the laundry basket for a few days before I actually put it away. Sigh. I know, it's probably the easiest and fastest part! I have no idea why I put it off!!!)

Now, I don't mean to complain. I am SO GRATEFUL to have a washer and dryer so that I don't have to do all of our laundry by hand! I just posted this for 2 reasons:

1. I'm hoping that some other people out there also feel like doing the laundry is a major accomplishment. That way I don't feel so silly if it's the only thing I can say I've accomplished the entire Saturday.

2. I did a bunch of laundry last night! This made me happy, because I felt like I got something accomplished. Now, if I just make sure to actually put it away! (Yes, it is still sitting in the basket right now...)

8 comments:

Audrey Seymour said...

I am so sad that it is not an actual picture of your laundry. Now I feel really really bad because my laundry basket is twice as big as that one on the picture and I still do laundry 3 times a week! Argh

LaRae said...

Just wait until you have a family of 10 to do laundry for. Oh . . . wait, I'm supposed to be supportive not discouraging. Yay, for getting your laundry done! Actually, any task you get done is a good feeling!

Jennifer said...

My laundry doing becomes a little difficult because I share one washer and dryer with 8 other girls. I squeeze in a load of underwear on Saturday mornings when everyone is asleep and usually get it done before leaving for the day. Everything else is when I can find time and an available washer and have no more clothes left in the closet, usually.

Emily said...

Shelly,

Are the washer and dryer yours or your landlord's? If their his, have him replace them! Yuck!

Lisa Merkley said...

My only laundry day is Monday, unless, of course, there is some major accident. But this last Monday, for the first time in a REALLY LONG time, I didn't get all of it done. In fact, right now, it's Wednesday night and still all my clean laundry is in all the baskets, unfolded. And where, you ask, is all the dirty laundry that's accumulating? It's on the floor. At least I have my priorities straight. Clean in the basket, dirty on the floor.
My problem is that I only schedule laundry on Monday. So if I don't finish it on Monday, my other days are so busy and scheduled that it's hard to squeeze it in.

But congrats to you.

Jennifer said...

"they're his", Em.

Rebecca said...

a. no dissing spelling errors of the siblings. SibChat rule. =)
b. Yes, I think laundry is a major accomplishment
c. I find I run out of clean pants the fastest.
d. I don't like putting clean clothes away either. I hang most of my stuff up in the closet, so I lay it all neatly on my bed, and eventually I get around to hanging it up. Which means I have to hang it up that night because my floor's prolly too dirty to put it on.

Jennifer said...

A)this isn't sibchat. it's a blog. :)

Just one day, huh, Bec? When I get behind with putting away laundry, it's just the things I fold. I hang up the hanger clothes really quickly - so they won't get wrankled. But, my underwear often sits in the laundry basket for days before I get around to folding it and putting it in the drawer.