Sunday, December 21, 2008

Target Practice Challenge

Since I know how much you all loved my ACT problem, here's your next challenge.

Robin, Marion, and Little John each fired six arrows, and each scored 142 points. Robin's first two turns scored 44 points. Marion's first try earned her six points. Who scored a bull's eye? Remember, don't look at the answers until you've solved it (or at least tried!) on your own! Also, if you do figure it out, make sure you explain it on your post so the people who didn't really want to try can figure it out. :) Have fun!

15 comments:

Tanya said...

it is little john, as john is the only one possible to get a bullseye

Michelle said...

How do you figure that? Because I got a different answer.

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

It can't be Robin, because the bull's-eye is 100 points, and he only scored 98 points on his remaining four shots. We also know that his first two shots must have been 4 and 40, since no other two point values add to 44 (but I thought Robin was a better shot than that in the movies!).

If Marion scored the bull's-eye, then that accounts for 106 points in two shots, so she had to score 36 among the remaining four. That is possible if she shot 2, 4, 10, and 20. But does that fit with what everyone else shot? If that is the right answer, then we must figure out Robin's 98 points in 4 shots, and Little John's 142 points in 6 shots, using:

2, 2, 6, 10, 20, 20, 40, 40, 50, 50

And indeed, Robin's remaining points came from 2, 6, 40, 50, and Little John fired 2, 10, 20, 20, 40, 50, and Marion got the bull's-eye.

Michelle said...

Eric, I knew you wold enjoy this!!!

Jennifer said...

Little John. Robin scored too many points with his first two to get a total of 142 with a bull's eye. Marion scored 6, 50, 50, 20, 10, 6 for her 142.

Lisa Merkley said...

It was Marian.

We all know that Robin WAS NOT the one who got the bulls eye as already figured out by everyone else. This leaves 4 shots to get to 98 points. The only way to get the remaining 98 points is to use the 2,6, 40 and 50. This makes Robins 6 shots as follows: 2, 4, 6, 40, 40, and 50.

There are only two 6s available and Robin got one and Marian got one.

If Little John got the bulls eye, he would have 5 shots left to get 42 points. The last digit has to be a 2. There are 3 possible ways (in general) to get a score ending in 2: You have to have one 2, OR three 4s OR two 6s. It can't be 6 because they are both used. There are only two 4s total. This leaves the 2. SO IF Little John got the bulls eye, his firt two shots would have been 100 and 2 leaving 4 shots to get 40 points which is impossible given the shots that are left.

THIS LEAVES Marian as the only one who could have gotten the bulls eye.

Jennifer said...

I stand (sit) corrected. I didn't figure it out as far as others seemed to.

Emily said...

And I didn't care to. :)

LaRae said...

It is Marion who got the Bullseye. Robin already has 44 points -- can't add the bullseye (100) to that and get 142, so Robin is out. It also can't be Little John because if he gets the 100 and one of the 2's (because the score has to end in 2), then he must get 40 with the other 4 arrows. There is no combination of remaining 4 arrows he can shoot that adds to 40. Therefore it is Marion who has shot 6 with the first arrow. If the second one is the 100, the remaining 4 arrows have to add up to 36, which are 20, 10, 4, and 2.

I'm not sure I explained as clearly as you others did, but I did write my explanation before looking at all of yours.

Michelle said...

Wow. You guys are amazing. Yes, it WAS Marian. And by the way, you DID notice that they were names from Robin Hood, right? :)

Jennifer said...

duh ;)

Spencer said...

It was Marion, who shot 6, 100, 20, 10, 2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order, of course).

FYI: Robin shot 4, 40, 50, 6, 2, and 40.

Little John shot 2, 10, 20, 20, 40, and 50.

How'd I do?

Spencer said...

I noticed only AFTER I posted that you had already posted the answer (remember, you told us to give an answer before looking at the comments, which I did). But I did it all on my own.

Spencer said...

Aaaand, it's time for a new post.