Monday, January 12, 2009

Cleaning Out

I need to apologize to all of my faithful readers. (I'm assuming there are many of you!) Sorry I haven't posted in so long! I didn't post over Christmas because I didn't have my camera cord and I wanted to include pictures, and then I just got busy last week. But I'm back!

Anyway, many of you know that sometime this coming year my mom is planning to sell the house I grew up in. It is a LARGE house with LOTS of storage... which means that she has accumulated a LOT of stuff over that past 20 years that she has lived there! While I was home for Christmas, I helped her clean out some of her stuff. And I just had to laugh and take pictures of some of the "treasures" we found!

This is a before picture showing what the first set of bookshelves used to look like:


This was one of the "treasures" that Mom had kept on her shelf. I believe I made it for her when I was in 5th grade. Disgusting, isn't it?! It wasn't a hard decision to throw that one out!


This in a Relief Society manual that my mom had on her shelf. Look closely at the date... can you see it? If not... it's 1966! My mom wasn't even IN Relief Society in 1966! I'm not sure how she got her hands on this manual, or why she saved it all these years, but it too joined the trash can.


I feel a little sacrilegious posting this... but this is all of the old sets of scriptures that we had hanging around on our shelf. Many of them were falling apart (but not marked from seminary or a mission or anything, just from belonging to an 8-year-old child). And a few of them were ones we were supposed to give away... back in 1990... complete with our family's picture in the front! I still feel a little guilty throwing these out, but it's kind of funny, too.



And here is the "After" picture, showing how much we were able to clear out. Much less for my mom to pack!



This is a shot of all of the boxes of books were sent to Friends of the Library, along with the trash and some things for Good Will. I think we made 3 trips there, each time with a full car load! I hope someone can appreciate the stuff we donated!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

W.O.W.!! You guys did a lot while in Texas. I wish I could have been there. The before and after pictures of the family room shelves are great.

Spencer said...

I love the pottery :)

Tanya said...

Wow I can't believe how empty the shelves look.