Friday, January 29, 2010

The Lion King

Mike is the most wonderful husband ever. The Lion King came back to the Des Moines Civic Center for only 2 weeks (they had come a few years ago). I really really wanted to go! It was a last minute decision, and Mike didn't want to leave Aidan with a sitter for that long that late at night, so he said he would stay home with Beebs and I could go to the show!


It was AMAZING!!! The costumes and puppetry were absolutely stunning. This next picture shows two of my favorite costumes in the entire show. The giraffes are actually dancers on four stilts, and the leopard puppet had me mesmerized every single time it came on the stage.


All of the actors and costumes were just fabulous. These pictures are great, but they don't even do justice. Seeing how the characcters MOVED was what made them so incredible to me!



I was about 6 rows back on the edge, and as the ticket-taker said, "You're right in the safari zone! Make sure you keep your arms and legs in the jeep!" I didn't quite get what he said until about 5 minutes into the show. I was glued to the stage when I suddenly sensed something behind me. I turned around and nearly had a heart attack - three feet behind me was an elephant coming in from the side!

It was an absolutely phenomenal show. I highly recommend going if you ever have the chance!

3 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

I've always wanted to see that one, especially because of the costumes. Now I'm jealous.

Jeni G said...

Very cool! We'd love to see it too. Is it as beautiful as it seems?

LaRae said...

One time Dad took me to New York where we saw both The Lion King and Phantom of the Opera. Wow -- what a wonderful little vacation just for the two of us! I love my husband!