Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Last Ones...

I had parent teacher conferences tonight. They went smoothly, although long. (I didn't have anyone stand me up! That's a first!) What's weird to me now is that I probably won't be doing these again, or at least I will be doing them from the other side of the table. Since I'm planning to stay at home with little Stetzon, I honestly don't know when or if I'll be teaching again.

It's a very odd sensation, and kind of bittersweet. I have loved teaching so much. It has really become a part of me over the last seven years. I have seen so much growth, both personally and professionally. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere close to where I maybe want to be, and yet I'm going to be done here. How can I be done?! I just started!!! And yes, I know that motherhood is an entirely different yet equally wonderful adventure, and I'm sure I will love it and grow from it just as I have from teaching. But it's still hard to let go of teaching. I think this is just barely starting to hit me, and I think it will be even harder for me as the end of the school year grows closer. Change is hard and scary, and leaving teaching is a big change for me! How do you just quit something that has been such a big part of you for so long?

Is there anything you can't believe is over? What changes in your life are scary to you? What are you sad to give up?

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes, and yes! I am sad to finally be done with my music classes. As I move to the School of Education, I'll be with other girls who aren't quite the same musical nerds that my current friends are. I will miss ensemble rehearsals and the live acoustics of performing on the DeJong stage. And even though I'm not letting go of music entirely (after all, that is what I'll be teaching eventually!), I will miss what is associated with being a student in the School of Music. I'll miss hanging out with other crazy music friends, comiserating about music history courses, carpooling to various locations we volunteer at, lunch breaks at the slab in the HFAC, going to concerts and seeing people I know up on the stage.
But, you are right, Michelle. Although different phases come and go, we're constantly learning and growing from whatever we're doing. While you're in one stage, it seems weird to imagine moving on, and you don't know if you want to. But it never fails that once the next stage arrives, you find it just as fulfilling (or more) than the previous phase. So . ..it's good that you're sad about leaving teaching. If you weren't sad, that would mean that it didn't mean much to you.
Stetzon is lucky to have you as a mother. =)
And I love you. =)

Heidi said...

I can't believe my freshman year at college is almost over. I'm a little scared to no longer have a permanent home after this summer. I'm sad to give up classes with my sister (maybe Spencer and I could figure out a class together....?) and weekly phone calls to my Mommie. I'm also sad to give up my dorm life. Although I know I can be happy wherever I live, it's scary to think that I have to get a whole new ward again and I won't even have a sister there to ease me into it.

jessica said...

You sound like me one year ago. The feeling is a little haunting, exciting, sad. You just want to laugh, cry and cheer all at once. Lucky for us, teaching will always stay with us and is easily transfered into the home. It will just make you a better parent. I pushed really hard the last little bit so I knew I did everything I could...so I would have no regrets...so I would be so tired out that I would hug, and cheer as my kids walked out the door for the last time. Stepping out of the classroom into the home is an amazing experience, flooded with emotion. Good luck!

Jennifer said...

Good luck with the transition, Michelle. When does school end for you guys?

Spencer said...

Um, yeah. How about graduating a finding a job and being the one who's financially responsible for the well-being of the girl (and future kiddos) that means the world to me?!

LaRae said...

I remember having a very difficult time at the end of each year when I taught Tot-Rite Nursery School saying goodbye to that particular group of children. Even when I was in college and had the calling of teaching the 3-year-old Sunday School class, I had a hard time at the beginning of each year when I had to lose a class of kids. Yes, change is hard for me, but it is mostly saying goodbye to things or people that I love. As I contemplate leaving Midland and friends I have here, it is also a difficult thought. I think, however, that I have found the easiest way to leave Midland by having the mission being the "insulation stage" between Midland and living in a Utah ward. Even the thought of leaving my wonderful home that I love so much has left me with very sad feelings. I have been on line looking at homes in Utah, and they just don't have some of the features that I love about this home!

Tanya said...

I am wondering what am I going to do when Evelyn starts school? She is going to start after spring break for the mornings and then turn to the afternoon in September. I will have no one at home for the afternoons. Peace all around.

Jennifer said...

So is this special ed pre-school Evelyn qualifies like Natalie did?