Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sewing

My mommy would be so proud of me. I actually sewed something! I remember that she tried to teach me how to sew when I was younger. All that stuck was how to thread a sewing machine. I can sort of sew a straight stitch... and that's it!
BUT, I got really fed up with my knee-length maternity clothes. They just aren't comfortable to try and be all modest in. So, I decided to sew my own maternity skirt! I didn't get a pattern or anything, I just bought some cute clearance fabric, guesstimated, cut the fabric, and started sewing!
Did I make mistakes? Yes. If I did it again, would I do it differently? Yes. (For one thing, I would have realized that the fabric was thin enough to need a liner BEFORE I added the elastic waist!) Are there noticeable flaws? Yes. (In fact, the fabric was cheap enough that I already have a tear in one of the seams, just from tugging on the skirt a little too hard.)
BUT, I think that for all of that, the skirt turned out pretty cute! And besides, it only has to last for another month or two, so if it's not perfect, it's okay.

Has anyone else tried a new project lately that they're proud of?

4 comments:

Lisa Merkley said...

Yup...quilting. But I've posted about that. I'm working on a new quilt though. It's gonna be cute!

LaRae said...

How about purchasing a home, preparing a home to sell, preparing to serve a mission, getting a daughter ready for a mission, going to play grandma, all while trying to continue being a mom, helper to the missionaries, counselor in the RS, packing up my belongings of 33 years in preparation of moving, all in one summer's time. I guess that's not really a project, nor have I accomplished those things yet, so I can't be say how it went, but that's the somewhat overwhelming summer that I have planned.

Heidi said...

Very cute skirt! Looks like you did a great job! I can't think of any new projects I've done lately, but I know the feeling of being proud of one. :)

Spencer said...

Well, Whitney and I have slowly been decorating our apartment. We have some letters spelling "Blakes" on the wall, and we finally got maintenance to put some nails in the wall for us so that we could put up a shelf with some things on it. But the shelf is slanting forward; we need to but something under/behind it to level it out. But each time we get a small piece of decoration up we like the feel of our house more and more.