Well, the computer is saying this is my 100th post. In honor of that, I will share with you 100 things about me, in the time-honored tradition of bloggers everywhere.
1. I don't remember any Spanish, even though I took 2 years in high school. And I mean ANY.
2.I had a charm bracelet when I was a little kid. My favorite charm on it was a roller skate with little wheels that actually moved.
3. I probably loved that charm so much because I loved to roller skate! Still do, actually.
4. Speaking of charms... once when I stayed with my aunt, my sister and I each got a charm shaped like a cow. We were so excited to tell my mom about it on the phone that night, but she couldn't for the life of her figure out why our aunt had given us a "couch arm"! (Say it out loud.)
5. I am currently working on a Personal Progress goal to do something nice for a family member each day for 2 weeks.
6. This is the THIRD time I have started this particular goal, although I think I will finally finish it this time!
7. I am a sucker for the dollar section of Target. So dumb, I know, but I get sucked in by all of the great "bargains."
8. My right thumbnail started peeling off the top layer about halfway through my pregnancy, and it still hasn't gone back to normal yet.
9. As YW President, I give my girls temple flowers. I freely stole this idea from Sis. Hoose. (Thanks!)
10. One project I have on my perpetual to-do list is to go through and type several old journals that are handwritten in falling-apart spiral notebooks.
11. I like vanilla-based ice creams much better than chocolate ones. Given the choice, I will always pick vanilla.
12. For example, a vanilla Frosty is MUCH better than a regular one!
13. My sister Lisa once knocked out my tooth with a cup. We were fighting right while she was setting the dinner table. Luckily, it was a baby tooth that was already loose.
14. When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my bike got stolen. I loved that bike, too. It was purple and had a basket on the front with flowers.
15. I always have a TON of projects that I would like to do, but I have a hard time starting them unless I have a big chunk of time. I don't like stopping in the middle of them. Unfortunately, that means my projects often don't get done (or even started)...
16. I love putting peanut butter chips in Rice Krispie treats. Yum!
17. When I was a kid and wanted to be alone, I would either hide in the hall closet or in the downstairs shower.
18. I didn't want to play the flute at first. My parents made me. Then I fell in love with it.
19. I also didn't want to play the piccolo at first. My flute teacher made me. And then I fell in love with it.
20. I took 4 classes of American Sign Language in college.
21. I was also in the presidency of the ASL Club for 3 years.
22. I once went to a Silent Weekend where you could only use sign language the entire time. It was a blast!
23. I still remember some of my sign language. It helps that I used it in my classroom sometimes.
24. We have been running low on envelopes for a while now.
25. I just bought some yesterday.
26. We keep our batteries in the fridge. This is a trick I learned from Mike that supposedly makes them last longer. Who knows if it really works?
27. Our first married fight was about who got to decorate the house.
28. Mike won. Except that he hasn't done anything, so I am gradually sneaking in stuff and he hasn't complained TOO much.
29. When I was little, I sucked the middle and ring finger on my left hand. As a result, those two fingers are crooked now and overlap each other.
30. I worked on several latch hook projects as a tweenager. I loved them then, but I gave them away to Goodwill later because I didn't know what to do with them when I was finished.
31. I was quoted in last Sunday's newspaper. It was an article about school supplies.
32. I have a hard time killing bugs. Usually I trap them under a cup, but then I don't want to touch them, so I make Mike take care of them.
33. The CD player in my car is on the fritz. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.
34. I am not very good at keeping plants alive.
35. I use Colgate Total toothpaste.
36. I used Crest growing up, but now I think it tastes nasty.
37. I never drink enough water. Even when I actually try.
38. I have a TON of smelly lotion. I love the smells, so I don't want to get rid of perfectly good lotion, but I never really use it.
39. I should use lotion more often!
40. I was the biker for a team triathlon last summer. It was something I never thought I would do, but I really enjoyed it!
41. When I was a kid, I entered a coloring contest at Albertson's and won a $5 gift certificate!
42. I used it to buy a Sylvanian Family Bear. Does anyone who isn't in my family remember those?!
43. Speaking of contests, I also won an art contest in my 3rd grade class. I drew a picture of a snowman, and I won a piece of gum for my prize.
44. That same year, I also won "Most Beautiful Valentine Box." I remember that I used some of those fake roses from Hobby Lobby on my box. The prize was one of those little tiny heart-shaped boxes that has about 3 pieces of chocolate in it.
45. Also in 3rd grade, they had a big whole-school reading incentive thing. My teacher and the principal both didn't believe that I read as many books as I said I had. I think mom wrote them a note saying I was telling the truth.
46. Some of my favorite classes at BYU were: ASL, Teaching Elementary Math, Social Dance, Bowling, the Religion class about Teaching, Business 000 (a no-credit class that went through the basics of computer use in many different programs), and Women's Chorus.
47. Some of my least favorite classes at BYU were: American Heritage, Teaching Elementary PE, Psychology, and Birdwatching.
48. Aidan let me do #1-48 without crying, but now he's upset, so I will save this and finish later.
49. Some callings I've had that I really enjoyed are: bishop's secretary, stake appointment person, and YW President.
50. Some callings I've had that have been really hard for me at the time they were given: Primary pianist (18 yrs old), FHE mom (while engaged), choir president (while pregnant and with a young one).
51. I think I have attended more schools than anyone else in my family. I count 12: pre-school with mom, Rusk, Parker, Sam Houston, De Zavala, GEM, Goddard, Alamo, Lee Freshman, Lee High School, BYU, and SUU.
52. One childhood memory is a time when my friend Katie brought over her many Barbies and we undressed them all. Not sure why they needed to be naked? Anyway, Mom came in and was very surprised to see so many naked dolls!
53. Speaking of Katie, she is now married to Andrew Jacquier. I was in a BYU ward with Andrew. In fact, I believe that the last date I went on before meeting Mike was with Andrew! Katie and Andrew met on the Internet.
54. I also met my husband on the Internet. "LDS Singles worked for me!"
54. I remember one time when I was a kid, Lisa and I were tossing a softball in our room. We knocked a ceramic thing off the wall and broke it. I thought we would get in big trouble, but when we told my mom, she said, "Since you were honest, you aren't in trouble." We were relieved.
55. My favorite professional development class EVER out of all 7 years of teaching was the Utah Science and Math Core Academy.
56. I absolutely LOVED working at Park View Elementary. Hands down my favorite job ever.
57. I worked at the BYU Testing Center for 3 years during college. I handed out tests and wandered around the center looking for cheaters. I caught one once.
58. I don't really mind cooking all that much. I just hate deciding what to make. Once that's done, the actual making part isn't so bad.
59. Least hated household chores (once I get started they aren't so bad): making the bed, cleaning the sink/toilet, doing the dishes, doing the laundry, folding the laundry.
60. Most hated household chores: putting the laundry away, cleaning the shower/tub, sweeping and mopping the kitchen, and cleaning mold off the ceiling in the bathroom.
61. I rarely dream.
62. Although I do remember one nightmare I had when I was very young. It involved robbers and some Strawberry Shortcake playing cards. Ask me if you want more details.
63. I was in a spelling bee in 2nd or 3rd grade. I got out on the word "colonel." I actually knew how to spell it; I just didn't realize that it wasn't pronounced "call-uh-nell." That's why I spelled it "k-e-r-n-e-l."
64. Favorite things about Teacher Appreciation Week: cute door decorations, lunch from the PTA, nice notes from parents, room moms helping the class make some sort of surprise for me.
65. Least favorite things about teacher appreciation in general: getting yet another wall hanging, no one saying thank you ever at all, having a $3 gift limit in Iowa, having students say, "You get PAID for teaching us?!"
66. I have a hard time throwing things away.
67. And yet, I hate keeping clutter. They don't go well together.
68. I went to a Young Musicians Summerfest at BYU when was about 16. It was a week-long music thing, and I loved it.
69. I was very sassy from ages 10-13 or so.
70. But I made up for it by being a pretty decent teenager from 16-18. Not snotty or anything.
71. We don't have cell phones. (Well, I have a Trac Phone, but I don't have any airtime currently, so it doesn't count.)
72. We also don't have cable.
73. Current contents of my trunk: bag with car supplies (Armor All, map, tire pressure checker, etc.), snow scraper, Book of Mormon (in case I ever need to give one away!), flat playground ball, ruffly yellow baby blessing outfit that we didn't use (long story), box with notebooks to give away.
74. I think one of my favorite CDs was in my CD player when I sold it at my teacher garage sale. :(
75. I also have a brand new CD player from Scholastic teacher points. I got it 2 days after my husband surprised me with ANOTHER CD player for our anniversary.
76. I have yet to find a method to dispense White-Out that I really like. The brushes get clumpy, the sponges don't seem to provide good coverage, and the strip tape always seems to clog.
77. I type about 90 wpm.
78. One year, my high school marching band did a Star Wars show. I got to play the "Cantina Band" song on the sidelines with a group of only 5 kids.
79. I still have never seen the original 3 Star Wars movies.
80. I have seen Lord of the Rings, but it was under duress from my husband. I really don't think it's that great. Or even really good.
81. Mike wrote his thank you notes for our wedding faster than I did.
82. But I wrote ALL of the thank you notes for our baby gifts (even the ones to HIS co-workers!), so now we're even.
83. The last item of clothing I bought was a skirt at Penney's. I didn't even try it on (I NEVER buy clothes without trying them on!) because it was my size in a brand I've worn before, and it was on sale from $36 down to $7!!!
84. I got my ears pierced when I was 21.
85. I was very faithful about wearing earrings for a long time, but I sort of stopped over the last year. Now my holes are growing back in and it's a struggle to get any earrings in.
86. I really enjoy being in my RS Book Club.
87. Mike and I use a calling card, so I have to punch in 32 numbers any time I want to call long distance. Pretty annoying, especially when 3/4 of the ward is long distance!
89. I wear an NTI device at night to keep me from clenching my teeth and making my TMJ worse.
90. It really helps, but has changed my bite. I can no longer touch my front teeth together, which means I can never bite off a hangnail.
91. I love roller coasters.
92. I can't roller blade.
93. As a teacher, I really didn't enjoy doing recess duty.
94. I loved art as a kid.
95. I wish I had been in choir in high school.
96. In fact, I would jump on the chance to be in a community choir right now!
97. I've always been just a little bit scared of dogs. Not sure why... none ever bit me or anything, just a lifetime quasi-fear.
98. I read A LOT. And very quickly, too.
99. So ironically enough, I don't like owning books. I go through them so fast that I then have to keep them for a lifetime when I only got a day's use out of them. I would much rather use the library or borrow them from someone else. I can always buy a book later if I decide I love it.
100. I hate stuffed animals.
There you have it, folks! Were any of those news to my immediate family, or did you guys already know all that stuff?
What's Wrong With This Picture?
21 hours ago
6 comments:
I was in marching band at BYU with Andrew Jacquier's younger brother, Matt. That doesn't seem like the hugest thing now, but if I had known what you stated here, it would have been weird to say to Matt, "My sister once went on a date with your brother."
*It's a small world, af, ter-all*
I laughed when you said you were only sassy from 10-13. Ha.
I love you.
I don't remember throwing a softball at the wall and having it break something.
The tooth needed to come out anyway. I was just helping.
My nails (including toenails) peel, too. Not just when I'm preggers.
Chocolate frostys are better.
I remember the stolen bike. And how upset you were.
We just sold quite a few Sulvanian Family things at the garage sale.
Only from 10 - 13? LOL!
I like the flower YW idea - even if you stole!
I didn't know your bike was stolen. My bike was stolen off of a BYU rack!
I didn't know about your hiding spots! Funny! And Heidi told me that Mom and her would/could have fun playing hide and go seek in the empty house. I agree. :)
How'd you get quoted in the newspaper?
You have a good memory from your younger years (elementary school).
What a small world about Andrew. Was this the one that you were deciding if you were interested in him or Mike?
Only three years of sass??
Does your phone not have a memory that you can store the codes? Mom and Dad and G&G Blake both had/have those on their land lines when they used calling cards.
I learned new things about you!!
I did not know all of that. Did you make some stuff up? ;)
Nope, didn't make any of it up.
I was quoted in the paper about school supplies. A lady in the ward asked me about the lists in the store because she wanted a teacher's perspective.
And YES, I was ONLY sassy for 3 years. So there.
Michelle,
I found your blog some time ago and have been reading it ever since (hope you don't object). It was only recently that I got my very own Google account and could leave a comment at Steele Wool-Gathering, however. I thought that this post would be the most apropos.
Item #9 of your list - you are welcome to "steal" as many ideas as you would like, but I suggest you limit it only to the ideas that you think are the good ones.
Love you, and thanks for letting me still be in your life through your blog.
Sister Hoose
Post a Comment