Monday, August 24, 2009

State Fair, Again!

Since I had so much fun at the State Fair last year, I wanted to go again this year. It was quite a feat to convince Mike (he thought it would be too difficult with a baby), but in the end I finally wore him down. I have to admit that Mike was right. It wasn't quite as magical the second time, and it was more work to haul Aidan and all his stuff around, find nursing stations when he was hungry, and make sure that he was happy all day. BUT, we DID have a good time, so it was still worth it. Here's a few shots of our day:

We saw the cake displays again, and I loved this darling bath time one.

We had to try on the crazy hats again, of course!

Who could forget the egg-on-a-stick?!

This house is made entirely from gingerbread. Gorgeous, isn't it?!

We saw a magic show that was really fun. I snapped this picture just a little too late - the kid had been floating without the board underneath him!

This is Aidan near a giant pumpkin. Some of these weighed over 1,000 pounds!

And this picture is of Mike the Strong Man. They had a booth promoting safety around grain bins. There was a mock grain bin with a rope coming out, and you could pull on the rope and have it register how many pounds you would be able to lift. The point was that if someone was trapped in the grain up to their shoulders, you would have to be able to lift 615 pounds to be able to pull them out. Of course, no one can lift that much, so you don't want to be the person trapped in grain up to your shoulders! Anyway, they kept track of daily highs and the total high. In the men's category, the overall high was 270 pounds. I finally convinced Mike to try, and on his first try, he pulled 263 pounds! The picture is him pointing to where they recorded his daily high. He went back later to try and break the fair record, and he did... but they didn't count it. The machine didn't always register the high numbers, so the man had to be watching the display manually. I was watching and saw it hit 278, but the operator didn't see, so it didn't count. Oh, well - Mike knows he was the strongest man at the fair!

So that was our fun day at the fair. We also had to run away from a 20 minute rain storm, we ate some fair fare, and we looked at a bunch of fun displays. I'm not sure if we'll go next year or not, but it was a fun Thursday activity!

4 comments:

Spencer said...

I ain't never been to a state fair. But we've been to carnivals. We mostly just walk around because it's too expensive to eat anything or go on any rides. But it looks like you had a good time.

Lisa Merkley said...

That was a cute cake!

Heidi said...

Way to go, Mik-no! And Michelle is that egg on a stick picture the same picture from your last state fair post? I seem to remember that facial expression.... and I laugh at it. :)

Jennifer said...

Wow. Three posts (well, plus the picture one after this) in one day. I haven't checked in a while, and you have posted a lot!