Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Another ACT question

This one's for all you math geeks out there. It took us a while to figure this out during my ACT math class, although the reason why was a typo in the book rather than not knowing how to do the math. Try it before you look at the comments.

If [2x-2] > 2 (pretend that the [brackets] are absolute value signs - I don't know how to type those), what is the range of x?

a. x <4> -4
b. x <> -2
c. x < 2 or x > -2
d. x < 0 or x > 2
e. x <> 2

Good luck! :)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

All right, computer geeks, help me out. I keep trying to type options in the answers, but somehow the computer is reading them as code. For example, choice (a) is supposed to read "x < 4 or x > -4" but when I type that in, it shows up on the post as "x<>4". How do I fix it? Thanks!

Heidi said...

I say e. And it didn't take me longer than 30 seconds. Did I just take math classes more recently, or am I smart for figuring that out?

At least, I think that's right. That'd be rill embarrassing if I got it wrong.