Monday, September 1, 2008

Remember?

Those of you who grew up on Woodhaven Court probably won't remember this, but for those of you who grew up on Sinclair with me: Do you remember playing with these cicada shells all the time? We would hook them to our shirts, or put them in the red wagon and crush them to powder, or just have competitions to see who could find the most. Do you remember?

Well, last Saturday I was at our ward ice cream social when the gal I was talking with looked up and noticed that the tree above us was covered in cicada shells. For old times sake, I picked one up and hooked it to Mike's shirt. However, they are a lot more disgusting to me now. Gross! I can't believe we really played with those!

I was curious how they get there, so when I went home I googled it. I found this awesome site showing how they emerge. Warning: don't follow this link if you have a weak stomach! http://www.mindspring.com/~dallison/cicada.htm

Does anyone else have fond memories of playing with those things? Is anyone grossed out now??? (Yeah, me, too.)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think that's so cool and not gross at all! Cool website that guy created. (Good searching skills, Shells.) I do remember the cicadas from Sinclair. I think I told someone a while back about playing with cicada skins and putting them on our clothes, and the person was grossed out. I don't remember the crushing into powder bit from years ago, but I do remember looking for them on the tree next to the Mcanitch's (is that their name, even if I can't spell it?) yard and then putting them on our clothes.

Emily said...

I laughed when I saw your post title and the picture. Yes, I remember cicadas, but I think my memories are even more vague than Jen's were. I remember us picking them off trees by the McAnitch's house but what we did with them?? I was younger than 5!

Lisa Merkley said...

I SO remember! I have mentioned it to Eric on a number of occasions. I remember collecting them from whatever tree we could find them in and then putting them in the red wagon and then crushing them to powder. I'll have to make sure Eric sees this post...

Spencer said...

Even I remember that, but I remember finding them on the trees in the parking lot at the church (especially on that one that's the best for climbing). Our memories are obviously of different times or instances, but apparently that trend of looking for them lasted for a while.

Eric said...

Yes, I remember playing with the skins, and occasionally seeing one before it shed. Their noise is something I don't mind living without, though.