Sunday, August 31, 2008

Roses

Some of you have already heard about my huge weed - I mean, flower - bed. When we moved into this rental, someone had already planted bushes and flowers in the front bed. Our landlord mows the lawn for us, so I just assumed he also took care of the flower bed. However, at the start of this summer (after realizing that he hadn't done anything in it last summer), I could tell by the size of the weeds that apparently he was leaving that to us - and we had been miserably failing!
So, I went out and bought some clippers. With the help of my visiting teaching companion and one of the girls I visit teach, plus my husband, I finally got all the ivy and weeds cleared out. (That literally took two entire days!) We had FIVE gigantic bags of weeds to dump out, but the front of the house has looked a LOT nicer!
Well, back in July I had a nice surprise. The rose bush in the center, the one I thought was dead because it had never bloomed, finally started blooming! All it needed was a little more space! I had about 6 roses, which is 6 more than I had ever had before!
But I got ANOTHER nice surprise over this last week! The bush bloomed for a second time! I guess it's been mild enough for plants to re-bloom this summer, and this second time, the bush was totally covered! I got about 15 roses this time! I can't wait to see what it will look like next summer!

5 comments:

LaRae said...

That's a beautiful picture -- and you know how I love pictures of flowers! Use this as a YW lesson. When you weed out the bad, there is room for the good to grow and bloom. (Remember Dad's SS lesson that he loved to talk about in the "Leave it to Beaver" movie?)

Lisa Merkley said...

Do you know how to dead head roses? You'd get lots more during the whole season if you did it!! Basically, you just clip off the dead flowers (down to the stem where it splits in 3) and then you'll get new blossoms. Pretty picture.

Audrey Seymour said...

your roses are gorgeous!

Jennifer said...

Pretty!

Heidi said...

Good work! Do you still have to go out every day to pull the ivy? Very pretty picture!