I am the ward choir director. I just decided today to have the choir take the rest of August off until school starts again - it's too hard trying to rehearse when people are in and out of town. However, I wanted to use the time off to find the music we will be singing at Christmas so I don't have to scramble in a few months. Here's the vital information:
I have about 7 men that are dedicated and come weekly (or at least fairly regularly). I have one or two on each part (bass and tenor) that are strong music readers, and the other 2 or 3 on each male part can follow if they hear someone singing it well.
I had 4 strong altos, but 2 have dropped out due to rides or illness. That leaves me with only 2 strong altos, who both happen to be the only other pianists in the ward besides myself. Since I have to direct, that means one or the other of my altos always has to play the piano. That leaves me with just 1 alto.
I have 2 sopranos that come regularly, but they can't read music and can't follow a part unless they hear it many times. I have 2 or 3 other sopranos that will come sporadically, but they aren't there often enough to know the music and/or help the struggling sopranos.
So, to summarize: my choir is too small for a traditional SATB. The women (I know, what a shock!) are my weak link. However, we could do a song for STB, or even a SAT or SAB song (but put the tenors on the alto part and combine all the women). Any children's songs or duets would also work.
My question for you readers: Does anyone know of any great Christmas songs that are fairly easy but still good? Two or three parts would be ideal, but if it has four, we'll manage. What are your favorites? What do you have fond memories of? (Yes, we have access to the LDS hymnbook and the Choirbook.) Help me figure out what to sing!
What's Wrong With This Picture?
21 hours ago
2 comments:
I always like the two primary songs...one about Mary and one about Joseph, with men and women singing the obvious songs. I can't come up with the name of the Mary one right off the top of my head and I'm too lazy to go downstairs and look it up (Maybe it's Mary's Lullaby??), but the name of the men's one is When Joseph Went to Bathlehem. Maybe you could have a transition between the two of them.
Try Sally Deford website. She has a few good ones.
Post a Comment