Sunday, August 17, 2008

Unpacking

Sorry I haven't written much lately! I finally got a call on Monday (well, the message on the phone when we got back from the State Fair) saying that I could go in my classroom now, so I've been out in Webster City a lot over the last week. In fact, Mike came with me a few nights (he did grunt work and watched the Olympics since we don't get them here), and we were in the room until 1:00 or 1:30 at night a few times!

My room is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I moved to an old kindergarten room, so the room is a little different than my old one. For starters, it has its own bathroom with a 1 1/2 foot tall toilet! (We won't use that; I'll just use the bathroom for storage. It's too short for 8 and 9 year olds!) The white boards in the room are also lower than my old ones. But the nice part is that the old kindergarten kids colored on the walls, so they had to re-paint them this summer. I got to pick the color - a nice bright white! Also, the floor had some problems with flooding, so they re-did the tiles. (That's what took them so long to let me in my room.) Again, I got to pick the new color - nice bright white! That makes my room look bigger than all the other rooms in the school! It's SO PRETTY!!!

Our open house is tomorrow evening - that's when parents and students come to see the room and meet me. It's still not done, and I have meetings all day Monday beforehand, but I have faith that I'll be able to get it all done. And if not, it's at least close enough to be presentable.

So anyway, here's the fun part. I've been taking progressive photos as I worked! The most interesting progression has been my storage shelves, but I'm also throwing in a few of some cupboards and shelves that are mostly done now. It's fun to see the progress I've made!
Here's a lot of the boxes that I finished unpacking already.
Here's some shots of the back of the room that are mostly finished, or at least presentable enough. I'll get there!

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cool. Thanks for showing that progression. Good luck finishing everything. About the bathrooms - that's what it's like at my school. In fact, Spencer got a kick out of the low toilets when he came to my classroom to play Santa last December. I think he had me take a picture of him next to the toilet. Maybe he can post that on his blog or send it to you, Michelle, to post it on yours.

Spencer said...

I wish I still had it, Jen; that pic was on my phone that went the way of things that disappear. Michelle, you and Emily both seem to have much larger rooms this year.

PS - you miss me.

LaRae said...

I looked at your room trying to think from the perspective of a
3rd grader, and I imagine that most of them will be very excited at such a cute, organized, and new-looking room. And of course, they have the best teacher in Webster City, which they will find out as the year progresses!

Heidi said...

I like the progressive pictures. Your room does look very nice with the lovely white paint and tiles. Looks like you got a lot done in a short time! Way to go! :D

Lisa Merkley said...

You know the one picture with the number blocks...well, my Obsessive/Compulsive thing for organization tells me that the one sideways 2 would drive me NUTS! I would have to fix it.

Audrey Seymour said...

you haven' lost your touch of organization and making things unique et special/cozy!

LaRae said...

Lisa - you and Monk. Do you watch Monk?

Jennifer said...

After Lisa pointed it out (I didn't notice the first quick glance at the picture), I agree with her about the 2.

Rebecca said...

Hey, all I saw was the finished product, and it looked so good, that I don't think I realize how incredible it is that you pulled it all together in about a week!
Oh, and I'll be sure to fix the 2 by putting the 4 sideways as well. =)(That's for you, Lees!)