However, I've been riding my bike a lot this summer. I wanted to save some gas, and biking is a good workout. (Plus I just got a gorgeous new bike a few weeks ago, which makes biking even more fun!) I happened to mention this to girl I visit teach, and she ended up asking me if I wanted to join her for a team triathlon. She was the runner, her co-worker Ellen was the swimmer, and they were looking for a biker. I had some big reservations (namely telling her that I would make our team lose!), but she insisted that it was just to participate, not to win, so I ended up deciding to try something new!
This morning was the big day. I was very nervous (ask Mike - I think he was chuckling to himself in the car), but it was also neat to feel the spirit of the race. It was a very fun and exciting atmosphere. Here's a picture of our team at the opening ceremonies.
We were team 100, but they didn't have those nice bib numbers that you see on lots of athletes. Instead, we got labeled on our arms and legs in permanent marker! Here's some pictures of my lovely labels - thank goodness they washed off! (Can you imagine going to church with those on?!) Team number was on the outside of each arm and leg, and your age was on the back of your right leg. (Yes, I got some funny looks when Mike and I went out for breakfast afterwards!)
(Sorry the picture is sideways - I couldn't rotate it and it takes too long to download it again.)
Swimming was first, with biking in the middle and running last. They kept track of our times with a time chip that you wore around your ankle. It beeped every time you crossed the time mats: when the swimmers started, when they came onto shore, when they jogged 100 yards to the transition area where the bikes were, when the biker left the transition area, when the biker got back in, when the runner left, and when the runner crossed the finish line. Since we were a team, we had to pass the time chip off when it was the next person's turn.
These pictures show me leaving the transition area (you couldn't get on your bike until after you crossed the time mat) and coming around halfway through. I biked 20 k (12.4 miles), which was 2 laps around the lake. Mike and my teammates were waiting to cheer for me there (and take my picture).
Our swimmer was the last one out of the lake, so I was the last biker who got to start. That meant that I didn't see any other bikers during the race except the really fast ones who were coming around for their 2nd lap as I was doing my first. However, my favorite part was how supportive everyone was! All of the people watching, and nearly every single biker who passed me, cheered or waved. They would call out, "Go 100!" or "You can do it! Keep it up!" It was so neat to feel so supported and encouraged when I was doing something that was very challenging for me.
I'm sure you're all wondering how we did. Well, we all finished!!! We weren't even the slowest total (although we were near the end). As for me personally? Well, Mike and I went out to the race site last weekend so I could see it and do a practice ride, and I came in at 59:54 last week. My personal goal was to beat that time, and I did it! I came in at 52:33, averaging 14.2 mph. I knocked off almost 7 1/2 minutes off of my time!
(And I tell you what - Mike is salivating over the results page! He's saying things like, "I could totally beat that guy's time!" The competitive athlete in him will never die! I tried to get him to enter on his own, but he didn't think the had the right equipment and was worried about the swimming part. However, I think he didn't like just watching. I wouldn't be surprised if he did his own triathlon sometime!)
Did it leave me sore? ABSOLUTELY!!! Sitting down or standing up has been a major challenge all day. Was I tired afterwards? YES!!! Am I glad I did it? YES!!! Would I do it again? YOU BET!!! And I bet I'd even beat my own time! Who knows... maybe next year with Mike!
7 comments:
Cool! Congrats on shaving off some of your time. That sure is long time riding your bike. Was it flat ground or hills?
That's really cool Michelle. Shari's soon-to-be husband Mike has done a couple of triathlons, and he really likes them, too. I'm impressed.
OH my gosh that is amazing! I am so proud of you that is a very long ride. I know I could not do it. I am just in shock, Way to go!
You go, girl! Why did they have to put your age on your leg?
Jen, it was mostly flat ground, although the end of each lap had a small hill.
Heidi, they had to put your age on your leg because they broke up the results into age categories (fastest time 19-24 women, 50-55 men, etc.)
Way to go, Shelly! From watching a triathlon last summer, I could tell it's hard work. I'm proud of you!
That's so awesome that you were able to participate, especially since we all know that the Blake family is so "in to" sports! ;-) I just think it's neat that you did something you have never done before and did your best (even beating your practice time).
Post a Comment